A voice of consensus on archive matters.
- to act as a focus for institutions and organisations concerned with the administration of archives in Scotland and to provide a forum for the exchange of views.
- to provide a voice of consensus on archive matters and to bring to the attention of the public, government bodies and relevant institutions and organisations, issues of current concern in the field of archives.
- to promote awareness of the unique contribution made by archives in preserving Scotland's cultural heritage and delivering democratic accountability.
- to assess and identify the current and future funding requirements of the archive sector in Scotland.
- to promote and support Scotland-wide initiatives within the archival community, and to facilitate dialogue and greater co-operation between repositories.
- to promote and support collaborative working with professional colleagues in the museums and libraries sectors in Scotland.