What are the benefits of accreditation?
An Archives Accreditation Scheme is expected to bring benefits across six core areas. These may be summarised as 'The 6 Ps':
1. Performance: a UK-wide quality standard which offers a benchmark and stimulus for gauging performance, recognising achievement, ensuring value for money and driving continuous improvement.
2. Profile: a mechanism for raising awareness and understanding of archives, building confidence and credibility both within parent organisations and externally.
3. People: a process to help archive-holding organisations adapt and respond to user needs and to support workforce development.
4. Partnerships: a tool to help archives examine their offer more widely and to encourage collaborative working within and between organisations.
5. Planning: a robust framework for facilitating forward planning, improving procedures and policy, and reducing organisational risk.
6. Patronage: a badge of recognition which demonstrates quality services to supporters, donors and grant-making bodies, strengthening funding applications, attracting philanthropic giving and fostering investor trust.